Now available online, this Door and Event programme is a long-established Institute and industry programme. It was developed to satisfy the needs of those seeking a career within the private security industry. This e-learning acquisition option uses revised and updated content and supporting material, exceeding what was available in the traditional classroom environment. Assessment requirements remain robust and are supervised, maintaining the standard and integrity of the qualification.
Successful completion can lead directly to employment within the security industry as the award satisfies the training requirements for licensing in the Door and Event sectors as prescribed by the industry regulatory body, the Private Security Authority. Those wishing to work within the Security Guard (Static) sector require a different award and a separate licence. The Security Guard award (Static and Retail Security) is also available through the Security Institute.
Under the auspices of the Security Institute’s Academic Board of Governors, development of the programme was undertaken in consultation with employers. The Institute utilised internal and external subject matter and educational experts, national and international research, piloting and review to bring this programme to the industry.
To equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work under supervision as a security officer performing practical security duties and procedures and responding to security situations in a variety of settings within the door and event sectors.
- Be familiar with private security, the door and event sectors of the private security industry and licensing of employers and employees within those sectors.
- Understand the benefits of personal qualities and personal standards.
- Understand the broad spectrum of law and its impact on operational security in the door and event security environments.
- Develop communication skills for effective interaction with patrons, customers, clients, management and colleagues.
- Identify emergencies and appropriate responses to a range of emergencies.
- Understand the specific duties and procedures required within the event security sector, acquiring the additional skills and knowledge to work with competence within the sector.
- Understand the range of duties and procedures carried out by security staff, developing the skills and knowledge required to carry out the full range of workplace tasks.
The Door and Event online programme is presented in twenty eight sections, under seven parts as follows:
- The Private Security Industry
- The Private Security Officer
- Loss Prevention
- Legislation and Regulations
- Communications and Conflict Management
- Emergencies and Emergency Procedures
- Security Procedures
To access programmes leading to this award, learners should have reached the standards of knowledge, skill and competence at Level 3 or Junior Certificate on the National Framework of Qualifications. Achievement of this may be through a formal qualification or relevant life and work experience. This means that entry is open to all learners and there are no formal qualifications required to participate.
Private Security Authority Requirements
The Private Security Authority are the regulatory authority for the industry and may from time to time set criteria for licencing, this can include:
- You may be asked to produce a passport or other evidence of identity
- You may be asked to provide a utilities bill as evidence of address
- You must be over eighteen years of age
- You must be competent in the English language
Learners have 21 days to complete their studies online. The 21 days commences from the learner’s first log in to the course platform. Study is self-directed, it is for learners to determine their own schedule. The Security Institute maintain a record of date and time of learner log in for quality control and internal verification purposes.
Assessment takes the form of:
- A written examination
- Skills demonstrations
Aspects of skills demonstrations will be recorded for quality control and internal verification purposes. All elements of assessment must be passed.
A comprehensive manual is provided. Candidates will also be provided with study and assessment guidelines and a project formatting template. The facilitating trainer will support the learner throughout the process by telephone, e-mail, zoom or skype whichever is appropriate to the learner’s circumstances.
Successful completion of this programme leads to three certificates:
- QQI Minor Award in Door Security at Level 4
- Security Institute of Ireland Certificate in Door Security
- Security Institute of Ireland Certificate in Event Security