This course was developed for those with responsibility for conducting, commissioning, managing or supervising investigations in the public or private sector, including those responsible for managing an investigations agency. Course content includes Policies and Procedures, Professional Investigation Principles, Role of the Investigations Manager, Data Protection and Privacy, Evidence and Evidence Handling, The Investigations Management Process, Managing a Case and Records Administration.
On successful completion, participants will be able to understand:
- Historical developments in the field of private investigation
- The range and nature of investigations
- Core professional investigation principles and characteristics
- Key senior management Issues in investigations
- The importance of having appropriate policies and procedures in place
- The role of the investigations manager in a range of different environments
- How to establish and manage an investigations department
- How to implement effective records administration and records security procedures
- Those fundamental aspects of law which impact on investigations
- Fundamental data protection and privacy issues
- Best practice information gathering, interview techniques and evidence handling procedures
- Court evidence criteria and witness guidelines
- How the implement and monitor an investigations management process
- The principles of effective case management
- The main criteria for administration and management of an investigations agency
- The role and characteristics of an operational investigator working in the private sector.
The complete course is assessed by way of a 5,000 word project. The project will be presented in the format described in the assessment guidelines provided. The pass mark is 50% overall. Appeals processes are in place and extensions and resubmissions are allowed in extenuating circumstances.
These online courses are self-directed; the level of commitment required is dependent upon the experience of each individual participant. While the course duration is scheduled for six months; participants can complete the course and submit their final projects at any time within the six months.
Participants will have supports available to them, including:
- Extensive course materials taking participants through the course step by step
- Study guidelines
- Comprehensive assessment guidelines and submission templates are provided
- E-mail support provided by course trainers
- Access to the online forum for support and discussion.
The course is fully completed online. Access to all materials required is provided on registration, allowing participants to study and complete their coursework at their own pace. The Learning Management System used is provided by DOKEOS, who are based in France with support offices throughout the world. 5.5 million people have used the system to date.
Successful completion leads to the awarding of a Diploma in Professional Investigations Management. This Diploma is awarded by an internationally recognised industry sector body, The Security Institute of Ireland.
Conditions of certification include:
- Provision of basic personal details and correspondence information
- A pass mark of 50% or over in assessment
- Payment in full of all fees
- Satisfactory completion of all declarations
- Assessor recommendation.
Security Institute Membership
A benefit of this course is that it can lead to membership of the Security Institute, a professional body for security professionals. Membership of the Institute is open to professional experienced persons in any country. Members of the Institute are recognised by the use of the title M.Sec.I.I after their name. On completion of the course, successful participants are entitled to apply for membership.
This course is not currently open for registration.